Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving...


I have often wondered what the pilgrims felt when they came to this country. I remember just a year and a half ago when I took off from the Palouse to see what southern Idaho was like. After a month and a half away, coming home was like entering the gates of Heaven. The Pilgrims never went back home though.

Through hardships they stuck it out with a no-quit attitude that persevered. Their toils brought a new life that could not be taken back, and a new root into something absolutely extraordinary.

When they sat down for that celebration meal, what do you think went through their minds? They bowed their heads in humble prayer to give thanks to a Heavenly Father that provided their needs. They set a day apart to show their thanks to the Man who is great, and showed their appreciation toward those that worked hard to bring in the crop.

Over the years we have lost sight of the true value of this holiday. The day has drifted from a time to praise to our God, to a day of turkey and stuffing. The average person doesn't know the work it took to get the food to their possession, or the struggles that those families face.

So this year I hope to encourage you to think of Thanksgiving as a pre-funk to Christmas. Remember the Man that sent His own Son to us. Remember the Sacrifice that was made for us, and the Love that is expressed to us everyday. Remember this holiday, that there is something out there far greater than yourself. While you are important and what you do makes the world go around, there is Someone that allows you to do that.

Remember the family farm that worked hard to get their crops in this year. Some worked the summer away without anything bad happening, others were not so lucky. This year farmers died from accidents, equipment failed, and some lost their livelihoods to flooding, fires, and sadly, the bank. While you sit and enjoy that hot meal, think of those farmers that love to bring this to you.

This is a wonderful industry to work and live in. Growing food is an amazing thing whether it is in the barns with cattle or on a hilltop with the wheat swaying in the wind. I want my family to thrive in this business and I love it with my whole soul. So I end with this, a sincere thank you to all those who know what it is like to wake up early and go to bed late, to work in the coldest of snow storms or in the hottest afternoons without air conditioning. Thank you for being good stewards of the land and the animals God has put you in charge of. You deserve so much more than just one day a year.

Finally, I thank Heavenly Father for my family. Even though we have so many differences, we seem to always find a common love that keeps us going. My prayers are with my uncle and his family and the family farm. I thank God for the greatest siblings and grandparents anyone could have chosen.

Take a moment and enjoy the day, the 8 degree snow blizzard outside calls my name, time to get some stuff done.

MHF

american-farm-bureau-logo

2 comments:

  1. Not sure how I've missed your blog before but I really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am glad you have joined us here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...