Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Vandals Are Beating Up The Fans



(Submitted to the Argonaut October 13th, 2010)

Dear Editor,

I read the October 12, 2010 article by Steve Carter regarding football ticket prices. I have to say that I am completely with him on this one. I love this team and the university and will stand by my team until the day I die. My troubles come when I see the unnecessary charges that the fans are burdened with.

I support improving the sports program and I hope that someday they earn their way to fame. Yet, with the recent decisions made by administration, I am questioning the intent of the university on this one. This spring the U of I approved a $12-million renovation project (source: Walsh Construction), we have extended and increased the coaches contract, and are now increasing the amount of money in the athletic scholarship fund. Am I the only one seeing a problem here? I love football, volleyball, and basketball as much as the next guy, but why are we making it mandatory for the fans to fund this scholarship fund when we dump more than $12 million into a sports program? The dome looks fine as it is and I am sure Coach Akey is making more than he needs, but as a student, my pockets are as empty as they ever will be.

What happened to playing for the love of the game? I propose that a scholarship fund be started for all production agriculture majors and make a mandatory donation every time food is sold on campus. Sports are extra in education and are not the responsibility of students and parents to help others enjoy their post-secondary activities.

If it is too much to limit ourselves where we are now, I stand with Tom Cable. Let’s go back to Big Sky where cost is less and championship is possible.

Mike Friddle
(Photo Credit: Mike Friddle)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...